EORNA was formally founded in 1992
- To be a group of European operating room nurses who exchange information and ideas to enhance and develop perioperative care.
- To represent and be the voice of specialist operating room nurses/practitioners throughout Europe and link with international organisations with similar aims.
- To promote professional recognition of operating room nurses throughout Europe.
- To promote and maintain a high standard of nursing care for the patients in the perioperative environment.
- To define and implement ethical practice in perioperative care.
- To apply scientific research to perioperative care.
- To understand and develop in order to achieve a standardised level of education.
- To collaborate with other organisations with related interests.